[Ansteorra] Things to think about....

Fitzmorgan at aol.com Fitzmorgan at aol.com
Wed Jul 24 20:15:49 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/24/02 3:14:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jonwillowpel at juno.com writes:

> Gili post got me to thinking.
>
> What wrong with wanting awards? it is OK to be a Squire. They have stated
> that they would like to work and learn and gain the knowledge to be a
> knight. Is it evil to want to gain mastery in an artform so you are
> wortly of an Iris. If you are willing to put the time in and give to the
> Kingdom is it wrong to want a Crane. People work for many reasons. Some
> want word fame or social interaction others want recognition but in the
> end we all work for some reason. If the person is willing to put the time
> in, learn the skills and behave as fitting the rank , what is wrong with
> them wanting the award?
>
> Duchess Willow de Wisp

       I thought that one of the roles that a peer serves is to be an example
to others.  I think that it is a good thing for someone to want to be a
Knight, a Pelican, even a Lion.  So long as they strive to be worthy of the
honors that they seek.  In seeking these goals they serve the kingdom,
inspire others and improve themselves.  If a person embodies the character,
honor and bearing we expect from a peer, if they exibit the Artistry, Skill
and Service we expect from a peer, are they any less worthy to be a peer just
because they want to be a peer?  I say no.

Robert