[Ansteorra] Awards and Manners

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Thu Jul 25 06:56:28 PDT 2002

        I've been playing in the SCA for nearly 19 years now, and there
have been a total of 2 events that I have been to and haven't worked at,
even ones out of Kingdom.
        I don't have a lot of awards, and I'm not griping about that. For
me, working at the event and helping out is part of what makes it fun,
part of what makes me a "participant" rather than merely a spectator.
        Please understand, I'm not belittling the Crown's efforts, nor
those of the Nobles. But when I'm out there in it, the idea of being
called into court and recognized there is not what matters to me. For me,
the recognition that counts is having that tired, sweaty person I was
there for say "thanks". If it's given to the whole group rather than me
personally, that's fine.
        Applause, grins, and occasional tears after a piece I've
performed mean more to me than a Thistle for bardcraft. In the same way,
the, "Cool. Finally, I can go take a shower and get dressed. Thanks
guys!" from someone whose camp I have just helped set up means more to me
than being called into court.
        I guess what I'm trying to say is that the important recognition
for me is the one that reminds me that this is *my* group, *my* event,
*my* Barony. I may not have the hat or the spurs, I may have no awards at
all. But I can and do make a difference. We all do, from the very first
day. It's good to remember that.

                                                        Yours in Service,

                                                                Iain
MacCrimmon