[Ansteorra] SCA Membership dues and Such things as that

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Fri Jul 26 14:49:25 PDT 2002

Mirrim wrote:

> It was $20,000 from memberships outside the gate vs. $2,000 from
> memberships inside the gate.  So, is anyone else curious as to why
> memberships will only be sold inside the gate this year?

I have a further question.  When I read this on the net there was a phrase
which puzzled me at the time but I shrugged it off because I thought surely
I must be misunderstanding the author's admittadly personal notes.  Allow me
to paste in what David W. Jame/Kwellend-Njal Kollseggson wrote:

Audience asked about membership sales at events.
        JF noted membership sales at Pennsic varied greatly on location.
        Year sold outside of gate, $20,000 booked.  Year sold inside
        gate (with no refund of Pennsic nonmember surcharge) $2200.
        [This year membership sales will be inside the gate. :-(

Now read the part that says "$20,000 booked".  Correct me if I am wrong
because when I was younger "booked" sometimes meant "to be written down" and
sometimes it meant "to go missing"...as in "I booked outta there".  I would
think that if that large a sum of money went missing, rumors would have
informed us even if others didn't.  I would like a clarification on the word
"booked" by the author if no one else.

However, if "booked" is meant in the sense "to go missing" then the reason
for having the sales inside of the gate may be self-evident.

Annes
Who is really *not* trying to throw a very large smelly herring into an
already roiling pot of bunnies.