[Ansteorra] One fighters Opinion(Was Cancelled fighter practice)

Galloch07 at aol.com Galloch07 at aol.com
Sat Jul 27 10:37:02 PDT 2002

Greetings all,
            I am usually fairly quiet on this list, not knowing many people,
and being outranked by most everyone. But, this topic is near and dear to my
heart,(being one a fighter) so here goes. I do understand that to protect our
little group of dreamers we have to have rules. Also, I know that the
Marshals are there as much for our protection as that of the SCA.
            This is not a game(Heavy fighting)that someone can undertake
without knowing the chance for personal harm. If a person walks on to the
field, whether it is a park, or a list field, they must do so because they
consider it fun, a game. We are allowing people to swing, what amounts to
bats at us, and we laugh..sometimes painfully..when a good shot is landed.
            My point is that sometimes people cant show up, mundanity has a
tendency to rear its infuriating head at the worst times. If these
aforementioned "Ladies/Gentlemen" have been properly authorized, and given
the blessings of our kingdom to beat the daylights out of each other, let
them. It is the duty of each of us to in the absence of our officers, to pick
up the torch of responsibility, and help the game go on. We all have many
times filled other roles when needed.
            Lastly, what of "pick-up" fights at events? After the scheduled
battles are done, and the marshals have gone to their tents, there is no
"Official" Marshal handy to watch over us. Should we ask them to stop doing
what they want and make sure we dont hurt each other? We are trusted there to
do the right thing, and watch out for armor damage, excessive hitting, and
all the other elements of safety.
            Please forgive the length of my ramblings, like I said, I usually
just watch, but...this is important to me.
                              Respectfully,
Marty
Evan Der Fultime
Northkeep