[Ansteorra] One fighters Opinion(Was Cancelled fighter practice)

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Sat Jul 27 11:28:34 PDT 2002

***SNIP***
>      Lastly, what of "pick-up" fights at events? After the scheduled
> battles are done, and the marshals have gone to their tents, there is no
> "Official" Marshal handy to watch over us. Should we ask them to
> stop doing what they want and make sure we dont hurt each other? We are
> trusted there to do the right thing, and watch out for armor damage,
> excessive hitting, and all the other elements of safety.
>      Please forgive the length of my ramblings, like I said, I usually
> just watch, but...this is important to me.
>                               Respectfully,
> Marty
> Evan Der Fultime
> Northkeep

Actually, Evan...*all* fighting within the SCA is required to have an
Authorized Marshal in attendance. That applies to pick-ups, too. So, in
point of fact, no, you *aren't* "trusted to do the right thing."
However, please see my earlier post; if one of the fighters is an authorized
Marshal, then everything is above-board. (Please note that I do *not*
recommend having *no* Marshal to oversee the fighting! ...Let's face it,
kids: fighters tend to get ...umm..."Focused" (yeah, that's a good word!)
I merely observe that the rules (as *I* read and understand them) require a
Marshal, but also provide an alternative solution.

Alden
(Waiting to be veto'ed by ....somebody...)