[Ansteorra] Re: tractions and problems

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Wed Jul 31 05:27:51 PDT 2002

Her Grace, Duchess Willow, said:

>I went out and I was treated pretty badly. No one
>used my title and they made a point of telling me
>not to put on any airs.

At least partially this is a reflection of the fact that, unlike 22 ago when
I joined the SCA, there are peers and nobles everywhere, they're not rare at
all.  I clearly recall when we used to have Marches of Precedence
frequently - because we had few nobles, and they got to do some pageantry
for us, and we were still so small that they actually went pretty quickly.

>Then they started telling how they were mad at
>one group  or another.

I think they were complimenting you, in assuming that you would be able to
somehow help.  I know that if I need something done in the Society, that the
Pelicans are who I'd think of when considering "folks who know how to get
things done".

(re: a new knight...)
>When he gets to fighter practice no one uses his new title
>or comes out to fight with him. He doesn't want to be pushy.
>Everyone wants him to be just one of the boys but just one
>of the boys isn't a teacher.

I'd certainly hope that he had been teaching before being knighted, just as
I expect a Laurel candidate to be teaching before being elevated.

>A certain amount of respect needs to be given
>so new people will listen to the knights.

If the fellow didn't have the respect of the people and the fighters before
he was knighted, the simple fact of knighting him will not create respect.
Respect has to be earned, we can't confer it with a bit of power jewelry.

>It would be a good idea that the knight Marshall
>in charge rounded up people and told them "here somebody
>with knowledge". Our older non-peer member can also
>affect the situation. Send people over.

Now, I do think it's very useful for groups to make sure that new folks are
introduced to their local peers and nobles and have it explained to them
that these people have many useful things to teach and share.  All too often
new people are terrified to approach the peers and nobles, despite the fact
that most of us love this hobby we all share and would love to help them.

>Laurels in general are some of our most shy peers.
>Artisans are shy people.

I'm not sure "shy" is the word - I tend to think "nonconfrontational"
(though with certain glaring exceptions).

>That Laurels probably didn't past over your work because they are
>haughtily they provably past it over because they could not figure out
>how to start the conversation. A lot of people are really touchy about
>their work and really don't want the feedback.  If you want to talk to
>the Laurels ask a question. Smile at them. Start a conversation. If you
>are looking to be a Laurel the fact you will talk to people will be in
>your favor.

Yes to all of that!  Another point is that people who are really "into" an
art or sport usually would *LOVE* to talk your ear off about it.  I've
noticed that knights *LOVE* to talk about fighting ("No shit, there I
was...")  Most artisans I know are also show-offs in a sense - we all want
you to marvel and ooh and aah over the neat stuff we do - and it's a treat
to get to talk about the arts we practice.  Want to have hours of mindless
fun talking about Viking stuff?  Make my day!  Come talk to me!  And the
other Laurels (and other artisans of every level, Laurels aren't the only
ones out there with useful stuff to teach!) would *LOVE* to talk about their
own arts.

>A lot of people have told me that they  are having problems
>with the way the competitions are being run.  Most of you have some
>Laurel you can talk to so please tell them that you are unhappy.

I don't think it's necessarily the norm even now that every young artisan is
an apprentice, or necessarily has a Laurel whom they know well enough to
talk to about problems readily.

I do want to stress that the *first* thing to do if you are unhappy with
judging results is to *go back and talk to the specific judge who looked at
your work*.  Chances are *really* good that what you're mad about was not
intended by the judge, and that a short 5 minute conversation will clear
things up and leave you feeling much happier about the whole experience.  Be
proactive - communication is essential.

If, after talking to the judge, you still are unhappy, then seek out other
Laurels.  If you don't know any of the Laurels, that's OK.  Politely
introduce yourself and ask for assistance.  Or come find me if I'm there,
and I will try and help you resolve the issue.

>Don't yell at them just tell them it is not fun.

Actually, better yet would be instead of simply complaining that it was not
fun, go further and figure out what would be more fun, ways to improve, and
offer concrete suggestions.  If you don't like the current activity, be it
A&S, a fighting scenario, etc., then figure out what you don't like about
it, and what you would enjoy more, and again, be proactive - offer your
suggestions for improvement for the *next* event, get involved and help
personally make it better.

>In the last years we have made
>a lot of changes to adapt to Gulf War and our interaction with other
>kingdoms. The Laurels have been excited with these new ideas. If no one
>tells us they don't like them we won't know to stop them. The Laurels in
>Ansteorra want to be leaders in the arts community, they want to
>represent you but you don't talk to them they don't know what to do.

Absolutely.

::GUNNVOR::