[Ansteorra] Family costs --was 3$ surcharge

Patrick Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Mon Jul 29 13:51:25 PDT 2002

I think that there should be a family cap on events.  Do we also have an
agreed upon age for charging for children at events?  To be quite honest, I
do not think we should charge for people under say 16 years old.  They are
usually not really involved directly in what it happening (and yes, there
are many notable and exceptional exceptions to that rule), but all in all
they are just being kids.  Is this possibly something that can be discussed
and agreed upon on a Kingdom level?  I am all for people paying for
membership/involvement if that is truly what they are doing.  I do not
believe however that we should be charging parents a full stroke fee for
children who are not really involved in what we are doing.  That is just
silly and detrimental to involvement.

Now I know that in essence we would be taking away a certain level of
control from the local groups. We are however talking about a basic level of
"fairness" in this organization that I think we should address.  That
"fairness" being the ability to get what you pay for.  Now if an event has a
great program set up for the children that gets them involved (this past
Steppes Warlord comes to mind) I can see having a fee to cover the expenses
involved with that.  Those costs are usually so small though that many of
the local groups could absorb that cost without hindrance.  Obviously
absorbing those costs would be difficult for small shires and cantons.

The cost of involvement in this organization will only go up as time goes
on.  Between Corporate needs, increasing costs of materials, rising costs
for sites, we are looking at fees always on the rise.  I think that families
should only pay for their level of involvement in the Society and not by the
number of bodies they bring to an event.

Of course, my opinion and 50 cents can buy you a cheap cup of coffee off the
"roach coach".

Petruccio