[Ansteorra] Re: Protectorate Mustards, etc.

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Jul 30 09:45:33 PDT 2002

Morgan replied:
> > So, Petruccio, Morgan and all you other cooks out there,
> what mustards
> > and vinegars are you planning to bring for me to taste?
>
> Oh, I would not sully Yer Excellency's tongue with my
> mustards.  Nope, nope,
> nope.  Evil things indeed.  Don't let them out of my kitchen.
>  Would be a true cruelty to do so.
>
> (num, num, num, off for Sodde Egges!)
> Morgan (what, me, SHARE??!!?)

Well, for those who would like to try some medieval mustard
and vinegar recipes, who don't live by Morgan or can't convince
her to share, check out these files in the Florilegium.
In the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daniel le Vascon du Navarre
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/Mustard-art.html
mustard-msg       (88K)  9/30/01    Mustard seed in period. sauces. recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/mustard-msg.html
And in the FOOD section:
Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?" by
                                       Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-art.html
Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning Coffeepots"
                                       by THL M·irÌn ben DhÌarmait.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-NJFCC-art.html
vinegar-msg       (51K) 10/25/01    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vinegar-msg.html

Making mustard using these period recipes and redactions would be a good
way for folks new to period cooking to try things out. They are pretty
straight forward and don't generally require any unusual ingredients.
Someday, I will get around to doing the mustard recipes I've been
planning to do. :-( Be aware that most mustards require some ageing, so
making them the day before an event won't work. Which unfortunately, is
when I usually think about it.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net