[Ansteorra] Re: A bet made- was Laurels Prize Tourney date

D. Vandever hlannes at ev1.net
Thu Jul 4 07:35:10 PDT 2002

Gilli wrote:

> A while back, I don't remember which of His reigns, a young knight named
> Mahadi made a bet with his Majesty Patrick Michael.  When you bet with the
> King, unless the King wants to lose, you are going to be the one to lose.
> HE Mahadi did not win the wager and had me make the belt to pay off his
> loss.
>
> It's good to be the King, or soon to be King again.
>
> Gilli

If the bet was over whether or not anyone would actually kneel on the
cushions during court, I can shed some light on that one.  During Patrick
Michael's 2nd reign, at Raven's Fort Defender, Sept. 29, 1990, we were
gathering for court.  My household was quite excited as we had wind that one
of our most beloved members, Caitlin nan Cnoc Airgead aka Caitlin the Celt,
was going to receive her AoA.  As we settled into our chairs, His Then Royal
Majesty, was circulating thru the crowd, rather surreptuously...or as sneaky
as you can be when you are the crown...explaining that he had a bet with
Mahadi as to whether or not anyone would kneel on the cushions when called
into court and that everyone was to kneel!  This caused us some
consternation as our dear sister, being a Celt #1 and with bad knees #2 and
bad back #3 had declared loudly and often that if she was ever in court, she
would not have knelt, would not kneel and indeed could not kneel.  She had
not yet come into the crowd and was unaware of the King's wishes.  We, of
course, being loyal subjects of the crown, did not wish to see our sister
break his wish.  So we formulated a plot then and there to satisfy all
parties involved.

As luck would have it, hers was the first name called.  As she rose to enter
court, she was a bit startled to realize that the entire household was
rising to their feet to accompany her.  Marching forward, I and my then
husband flanked her with the rest following.  Reaching the thrones, Patrick
Michael looked at her expectantly.  Mahadi hovered behind him watching
intently.  She, in her ignorant innocence as we had not told her of the
command to kneel as it would have done no good,  smiled serenely and stood
her ground.

In the next instant, Mahadi was screaming,"You cheated!!!  You cheated!!!"
and His Majesty, Patrick Michael had totally lost his dignity in choking
laughter so great he had to leave the throne and roll on the ground holding
his sides with pain.

For there, still standing, she proudly stood, that paragon of Celtic Pride,
as I and my ex firmly held *both* kneeling pillows to her knees!!

Even if this is not the incident you allude to above, it is a good old story
and one that I was glad to remember and share.

Annes
Dear God,  Help me to be the person
my dog thinks I am.  Amen