[Ansteorra] WATER & GATORADE

Morgan Cain (Ansteorra) morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 16 21:31:36 PDT 2002

Alina asked:

> Stupid question but I'll ask anyway.
>
> Why gatorade?

As a very experienced waterbearer and former fighter, I will echo what many
people have said:  it's the mixture of sugar, salt, and minerals,
particularly potassium, in Gatorade, Powerade, and the other "sports drinks"
that have made them de rigeur for waterbearing.

If you don't like the taste of Gatorade, don't drink it.  Or try other
flavours; I think lemon-lime and orange are the easiest to get in the large,
cheap quantities, which is why people tend to use those.  Personally, the
only one I can tolerate at all is Lemon Ice; all the rest are too nasty to
choke down, even if I probably need it.  As people have said, make the stuff
half-strength.  When fighters are on the field and drinking a lot, they need
the water more, and full-strength can give them too many of the minerals
etc.  Yes, as some people pointed out, there are those who like to drink
pickle juice, so don't dump it out when pulling the pickles for snacks.
Keep it in the jar so it's easy to find when someone comes looking.

Some people prefer sekanjabin, which is basically a syrup of vinegar and
sugar and mint, but most fighters want to drink the stuff with potassium and
other minerals.  Of course, you should also have solid forms such as
pretzels, oranges, pickles, and if you have the funds, melon and grapes kept
on ice will be VERY popular if the sun and temperature are both up.

Be sure to have plenty of water, too!  I know that sounds obvious, but at
some sites with poor plumbing, you have to bring in enough fresh water to
keep everybody going.  Not just the fighters, be sure the waterbearers water
the marshalls - and themselves!  I've taught people, especially children,
that the rule is one-to-three (easy to remember!) - you take one drink for
every three people who get a drink from you.  And always drink before you
put up the jugs, for example if there is a "waterbearers in" during a melee,
when you come off the field, get another swing.  It's one thing when the
fighters go down from the heat - it's embarrassing when the waterbearers do
it.  <G>

                                            ---= Morgan