[Ansteorra] West Nile Virus

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Fri Jul 19 03:54:54 PDT 2002

The thought of everyone in duct tape armor is scary.  I have done some more
reading and the bird site at
http://www.abcbirds.org/pesticides/west_nile_position_statement.htm seems
to have some of the least inflamitory and broad ranged information I have
found.

Here are two sections that put it into perspective:
Experience with old-world West Nile Virus epidemics demonstrates that West
Nile Virus poses similar, if not lesser, mortality risk to humans than the
closely related, North America endemic, and bird-reservoired St. Louis
Encephalitis virus. Control measures for West Nile should mirror preventive
measures currently taken by public health and mosquito abatement officials
for St. Louis Encephalitis virus.
and
St. Louis Encephalitis virus (SLE) is endemic to the Southern United States
SLE is reservoired in birds asymptomatically, and is occasionally
transmitted to humans. Both West Nile Virus and Saint Louis Encephalitis
virus can cause encephalitis in humans, but Saint Louis has a higher
mortality rate. Most infections in humans of both viruses occur without
symptoms, and only a very small percentage of infected people develop
encephalitis. Usually, older persons, who may be immunocompromised develop
the encephalitis form of the disease. Approximately thirty people each year
die from St. Louis Encephalitis, annually in the U.S.

This made me realize that it wasn't as dangerous as a threat we have always
had that I hadn't ever heard of.  It will be the first time my generation
has seen the state by state progress of of the spread of a public health
concern.  From all reports, the biggest ones needing to really institute
changes are those with horses, as it is 40% fatal in those exposed to
it.  They have a vacine that has just been released, it is 96% affective in
it's trials.  The other major species affected will be crows and members of
it's genus, although it has been found in over 100 species of bird at this
time.

As a public health measure, all are encouraged to do what they can to
remove sources of stagnate water near their houses and report any dead
birds they find.  As an SCA related topic, we will need to keep in mind the
mosquito exposure at the sites we use for events, expecially the ones we
hold equestrian activities at.  Hope this has relieved some of the
concerns.  Finding up to date info on the virus is a challenge as most of
the sites on it date from a year ago.

Susan