[Ansteorra] Vivats at Coronation

Nathan Jones bigbeartx at msn.com
Sun Jul 21 11:20:34 PDT 2002

Greetings Friends!

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I have been a bit out of circulation of late due to mundane business matters.

Sadly I wasn't able to attend this past Coronation, but I heard something that has puzzled me and made me curious.  I heard there were five "vivats" at this coronation.

As I said, I've been a bit out of circulation and so haven't heard if kingdom tradition or law (or where ever these things are written) has changed.  Granted I have only been in the SCA for about 11 years, but it's always been

1 "vivat" for an AOA level award.
2 "vivats" for a Grant level award
3 "vivats" for peerage and above, including the crown.

When did this change?  I had also heard that there were four "vivats" at a past coronation.  Is this going to be an ongoing tradition?  At what point will it stop?  I have this hideous image of the "vivats" at the end of court being longer than the actual ceremony in the not too distant future.  *chuckle*

So, can someone fill me in on what I missed?

Ever curious,
Gio

p.s.  All said with tongue firmly in cheek, of course.  *grin*Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com