[Ansteorra] Gifts vs Awards...

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.org
Thu Jul 25 14:49:32 PDT 2002

Lorraine said:
>If you knew you would never got another award...
>why would you stay in the SCA?

I'm almost to that point anyway...

I stay in the SCA because I love the pageantry, because my friends are
there, because I really love being able to sit down and talk to others who
are as passionate as I am about historical research or the Vikings.

I also think it's just cooler than all get-out to see what people turn up
with at A&S copetitions and displays... the "state of the art" keeps
evolving, and the artisans get better all the time.

To me, the best thing in the whole world is to sit in the gloaming around a
fire, with it cool enough to enjoy the warmth of the flames, singing old
songs with my friends as a group.  The rest of the SCA experience in some
ways is just "marking time" until we get to the magical moment where many
voices are raised together in harmony.

If I had to pick a single reason as to why I continue to play, it would be
"my friends".

::GUNNVOR::