[Ansteorra] Gifts vs Awards...

lanphier taylor jonwillowpel at juno.com
Thu Jul 25 18:18:46 PDT 2002

Eventually there will come a point in each person's SCA career
that they will get there terminal award...and for whatever
reason they will not be able to get beyond it...either because
of their level of activity...their inability to travel, or teach
or take responsibility...etc.

I am very aware of this problem. I topped out Years ago. Of course I was
in the SCA 12 years before I ever got an award and that was a peerage. If
you based your involvement in the SCA on the concrete awards you can get
than you will not stay. I enjoy being creative and the form that I prefer
to create in is performance art. I believe autocrating is a form of that
art. I am rewarded for my efforts by being allowed to do more. Sometimes
I have to do some very boring things so I can do something fun. I am
rewarded by people coming to my events and activities and participating.
When I feel I am being used I stop for a while and find something else to
do. My words of wisdom are these. Don't work yourself to death. If you
get burned out and drop out of the SCA you haven't done the organization
any good. It is OK to find something you think is fun and do it. Take
care of yourself. Once you are rested you can come back and work with
renewed vigor. I have been in the SCA for 33 years it is this program
that has kept me in the SCA.

Duchess Willow de Wisp