[Ansteorra] Corporate America vs. The Dream (was) Non-member surcharge

Susan Wieland damaris1 at ev1.net
Fri Jul 26 04:16:43 PDT 2002

"D. Vandever" wrote:

> Damaris of Green hill wrote:
>
> AAaaacckkkk!!!!!  Corporate America invades the "dream".   That's why I do
> this.  To have time to get away from the &*#@ corporation.  If corporate CYA
> and insurance issues are so prevelant, its going to be a challenge to find
> the fun.
>
> M'lady, I beg to differ with you.  Unless you are an officer, an autocrat
> (who is a deputy seneschal for the event), the troll gate (who will be
> responsible for keeping track of all this and getting it to the treasurer,
> seneschal and autocrat of the event) or the non-member being charged the
> higher fee, I highly doubt that the rest of the populace will even notice
> much of a difference.  Those who write and file the reports, yes, they will
> be aware of the difference, but believe me, when as an officer you are
> dealing with society "business" there is very little of "The Dream"
> involved.  I have been a hospitalier, seneschal (twice), A & S minister,
> treasurer, deputy-at-large,  presently deputy to the kingdom treasurer
> (stock clerk)and now a herald.  It is mostly just mind-numbing and very
> boring reports.  I have never once in all the years and years of holding
> office been thrilled over the prospect of yet another report to file.

Well ya know....I've been an officer too.  I've work behind the scenes
to help events get off the ground and have "enjoyed"(faceteous voice
tone here):) the mind numbing reports and getting them finished on
time.  I'm very aware about how little of the dream is involved in day
to day aspects of running the society.

Perhaps I should clarify my comment and let you know where I'm coming
from.  I am employed by a fortune 500 company.  And I'm fortunate to
have survived all the downsizing that has been going on in it thus far.
I am constantly beseeched by efforts to do "more" with less and having
the unspoken threat that my yearly evaluations could be effected by my
ability to produce more.  The "more" that I'm talking about is basically
all the extra stuff that has to be done to satisfy OSHA and other
possible liabilities that my employer is doing for "corporate CYA".  I
go to the SCA to try to get away from this crap of worrying about
lawsuits, and litigation.  Its nice to be where I don't feel I have to
watch my back for a knife that might land in it.

> However, "The Dream" does come alive and thrill me to the core when I hear
> an incredible, stirring bardic piece-either new or old.  It thrills me when
> some fighter on the field in the swirling dust, performs some wonderful act
> of chivalry and for a moment, I truely am in the castle yard watching that
> tournament unfold.  It happens when I watch a youngster's face as they are
> chosen to be someones page or when the queen gives them some largess.
>
> None of the above will stop because some one of us who file the reports and
> keep tabs on the membership have to be a bit more careful in those things
> that we already do.
>
> But....and here's the big one and I hope everyone has managed to get this
> far....
>
> Much, nay, all of the above can, might and probably will stop if people who
> can deal with the "corporate CYA and insurance" stuff  fail to do so.  All
> it would take to bankrupt our little organization is one solid lawsuit.  We
> are not McDonald's folks....we can't afford it.

Sounds like we are in agreement.  Believe me I honestly respect the work
that is done by our officers.  I've been an officer.  I just have a bad
taste in my mouth about Mundane corporate CYA b.s. because of my mundane
experience.  It interfers with my fun and now I'm told I have to deal
with more of it in the place where I go to get away from itand to have
fun.  My frustration showed and if that offended you, I apologize.  You
are preaching to the choir.

> There are many books we love to read that has the unsung few who brave the
> edges of the wild to keep back the Great Dark.  The rangers in Lord of the
> Rings come to mind.  Thats what your officers do.....from the *unpaid
> proffessionals* on the BoD to the *unpaid proffessionals of the Great
> Council to the *unpaid proffessionals* who are your local officers.  We deal
> with the muck and the dreck so you don't have to.
>
>  And frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Nor would I.

Damaris

"sometimes you're the windshield.  sometimes you're the bug."