[Ansteorra] pay to play

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Jul 26 08:02:24 PDT 2002

L T (ldeerslayer at yahoo.com) said something that sounded like:
> > What I'm really confused about is: for years back in Calontir we were paying
> > the $3.00 non-member surcharge.  Did Ansteorra not do this at that time?
> No...
> The surcharge came and went 6 or 7 years ago...

The NMS that was years ago whas a history as follows as I remember:

- Groups charged a dollar or so to non-members and kept the money.
- The Board decided to get in on the action and have the money sent to
  corporate for any event that charged a fee. ('94 if I remember right)
- Groups rebelled since they wanted the money and saw this as "taxation
  without representation". (After all, the Board is a self-perpetuated
  organization that appears to some to not listen to their feedback and
  does what they want.) They started having donation based events since
  they didn't have to send money to corporate for these. Etc.
- The Board backed down.
- Time pased
- Groups started charging a dollar or so to non-members and kept the money.
- The Board decides to get in on the action and ...

This of course leaves out all the nastiness, Ansteorra INC, Inman becoming
King again, etc.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "If you want my views of history
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   then there is something you should know.