[Ansteorra] Family costs and kids activities

Maleah baroness_maleah at cox.net
Mon Jul 29 19:49:01 PDT 2002

Petruccio said:
> I think that there should be a family cap on events.  Do we also have an
> agreed upon age for charging for children at events?  To be quite honest,
> do not think we should charge for people under say 16 years old.  They are
> usually not really involved directly in what it happening (and yes, there
> are many notable and exceptional exceptions to that rule), but all in all
> they are just being kids.  Is this possibly something that can be
discussed
> and agreed upon on a Kingdom level?  I am all for people paying for
> membership/involvement if that is truly what they are doing.  I do not
> believe however that we should be charging parents a full stroke fee for
> children who are not really involved in what we are doing.  That is just
> silly and detrimental to involvement.

Namron has a family max at our events and has had for several years. But,
making it a Kingdom Law could createproblems with site contracts. When we
use Camp Cimarron and other places we are charged less for children 6-12,
but we are still charged. We "eat" the fees for any that fall over the
family max, but not all groups are able to do this. Having raised three
children of my own in the SCA I am very sensitive to it costing an arm and a
leg just to get through the door.

We have also have had mixed venues for children's activities. We encourage
them to help in the regular activities where safe and also try to provide
things for the younger ones who aren't quite up to an all day stint of
helping the grown-ups. As Morgan said in her post, it's all a balance.

So, come to Protectorate, bring your children, your horses and your weapons
and we'll see if we can't keep you so busy you'll look up and say, "it's
Sunday already?'.

So, Petruccio, Morgan and all you other cooks out there, what mustards and
vinegars are you planning to bring for me to taste? What meads, beers, wines
and cordials are you brewers planning on bringing to put me under the table?
Ok, if I must, I guess I'll share with Ulf.

Maleah
Baroness of Namron