[Ansteorra] Membership

Mr. and Mrs. Fryday fryday at swbell.net
Fri Mar 1 20:05:15 PST 2002

    As for the posting by THL Stefan li Rous all I can say is that the
article he mentions is not enough to convince people to pay to be members.
If we want to generate funds it will not happen with tactics like telling
people why the money is needed. Anyone that wants to participate in the
activities of an event can do so without being a paid member. To tell most
people that their vote will not count if they are not members will likewise
fail to attain our goals. First off we rarely vote on anything and second,
even the times we do vote it isn't a true vote. The crown ultimately makes
decisions regardless of popular opinion. They may be insightful enough to
listen to their people but that is not a requirement.
    The issue of getting people to pay may best be solved by inviting people
to be officers or deputies and get them involved in local activities. We all
know that there are open offices and positions that could be filled and all
of these offices could have multiple deputies to assist in the running of
the offices. All of these officers running around conducting business for
the betterment of a group will mean two things. One: you'll have plenty of
paid members, Two: you'll have a very active populace and should have no
problems getting any task completed. Other than being in an office there is
little reward in being a paid member. Perhaps we should find a few more
incentives.
    I will admit that recently we have had some interest in people paying
for membership. They are pay now so that their poll slip will be counted in
an up-coming opinion poll to determine who will be the landed nobility of
Eldern. While this is a good reason to be a member I doubt that we really
want people joining our group if all they join for is politics. It shows
poor form in my eyes. That is why I don't like the idea of using votes as a
major factor in getting people to pay for membership. Of course I'm new to
the game and don't have much experience with this area of the SCA. Maybe my
idea of the game is to simple. Should I be playing this game for other
reasons than to meet people and enjoy activities with others that enjoy the
same. I don't think so....

Gassion