[Ansteorra] Critical Thinking (was Historical Gerrymandering)

Fitzmorgan at cs.com Fitzmorgan at cs.com
Sat Mar 2 11:40:10 PST 2002

Greetings

       I suppose I should have inserted a few more "weasel words" in my last
statement.  No doubt there are some schools that do teach critical thinking
skills.  Certainly there are many good teachers working within the public
education system.
       I left the public education system almost 20 years ago.  My experience
was for the most part that to pass you memorize the accepted answers and
parrot them back at testing time.  Things may have changed, but when I help
my nieces and nephews with their homework, and read their text books it
doesn't look like it.  Things could be different elsewhere.
       When I look how consistently the government and the media misuse
science and are almost never called on it by the public I conclude that even
if the schools are trying to teach critical thinking they aren't succeeding.
So much of government policy claiming to be based on science is pure politics
uncontaminated by any shred of scientific credibility, and the public just
swallows it whole.
       So I will revise my earlier statement.  Taken as a whole critical
thinking is not being successfully taught by our public school system.
       If you want to discuss this further I will be glad to do so, but I
suggest that this is not the proper forum.

Robert