[Ansteorra] canvas question

Wilim Penbras wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Wed Mar 6 12:11:39 PST 2002

I'm generally lazy about water proofing.  Most Good Camping supply places carry Sprays that will waterproof Nylon and Canvas and such.  Cost about $8 a bottle and you just spray it on.  Depending on the size of pavillion it may take a bottle or two.  Pretty much just have to reapply it periodically.  I've never used it since I moved to Texas but In Nova Scotia we reapplied at the end of each camping season, (IE Once a year)

I say this is the lazy way because I have somewhere a list of folk methods of waterproofing but they are long hard and take up to a month to complete the drying time.  (Can you say soak it in Ox blood and Lime Mixtures?  Maybe the easier Linseed Oil, Beeswax and soap?)  These methods work but generally weaken the material over time and repeated waterproofings.

Ld. Wilim Penbras ap Gurgeneu, Esq.
14 years in Scouting, Chief Scout (Canadian Version of an Eagle)