[Ansteorra] canvas question

Chuck and Rhonda Leggett RLEGGETT at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 6 14:38:54 PST 2002

Greetings, miLady.
    Although there are many good products available to waterproof canvas
(and any other) tenting, one of the most common 'traditional' ways was not
to bother, but rather to be careful.  A good, tightly-woven canvas will
almost never leak-as the fibers get wet and swell, they actually will shed
water without treatment....as long as no-one touches the fabric.  As soon as
the fabric is touched by some-one or something, it initiates a capillary
action that runs water through that precise spot like a hole, until the
fabric dries and the whole thing starts fresh. (Amusing to see someone draw
a picture, or "write" their names into a "waterfall," then realize that they
would have to sleep there!) However, for those of us that don't choose to
(or have to)  rely on just caution, there is another product I've used
before, called "Duck's Back," that I haven't seen anyone mention before.  It
may be available at Acadamy (I
don't  remember where I got it several years ago), but it comes in a gallon
paint can and must be applied like paint (brush, spray, etc.), but it's
worth the effort.  I used it to waterproof motorcycle gear, and I would ride
year-round, regardless of the weather.  If you can find it, I'm sure that
you'll think it worth the search (and effort).  Best of luck to you.

Ever in service.
Marion du Massue
House of Brick.