[Ansteorra] re: Kansas State Historical Association (etc)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 1 22:08:20 PST 2002

>From: Burke McCrory <bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us>
>Marc,
>It had not occurred to me that this was not a true story.  I have emailed
>my friend and he is backtracking it to see if we can find the original
>link.  I will let people know what I find.

I sent a note to the KSHS and got these responses:

Subject:  Re: Seeking verification of a news article
   Date:  Fri, 01 Mar 2002 12:02:28 -0600
   From:  "Bobbie Athon" <BAthon at kshs.org>
     To: <marc-carlson at utulsa.edu>

Marc:

The original article was published in the February 24, 2002 issue of the
Junction City Daily Union.  The Associated Press of Kansas picked up the
story on February 26, 2002.

Thank you for your interest.

Bobbie Athon
Public Information Officer
Kansas State Historical Society
March 1, 2002

Letter to the Editor
Kansas Media

Dear Editor:

On February 24, an article appeared in the Junction City Daily Union related
to the Kansas State Historical Society's policy prohibiting violent
re-enactments. That article was picked up by the Associated Press and
distributed nationally. Unfortunately, the article misrepresented the policy
and the rationale for its implementation.

Since 1995 the Kansas State Historical Society has had a policy on this
matter that is identical to that of the National Park Service and does not
ban re-enactments or living history at the sites we administer.  In fact,
the Historical Society supports the use of living history as an educational
tool and engages in living history on a daily basis.  The only thing the
policy prohibits is the re-enactment of acts of violence against a person.
This policy in no way prohibits the demonstration of military tactics or
weapons usage or interpreting acts of violence in other formats such as
exhibits or lectures.

The reasons that re-enactments of violence are prohibited at sites
administered by the State Historical Society are three-fold:  1) public
safety, 2) potential damage to archeological evidence at historic sites, and
3) audience appropriateness.  The Historical Society's primary audience is
composed of families, many of whom are sensitive about violent depictions.
We therefore have chosen to prohibit re-enactments of violence on properties
administered by the
Kansas State Historical Society.

Our nation continues to discuss the appropriateness of violence in movies,
music, video games, and other forms of entertainment and education.  We,
along with the National Park Service, have chosen to address historical
issues by means other than re-enacting violence.

Sincerely,

Ramon Powers
Executive Director
Kansas State Historical Society
This does mean that there might still be some issues with martial displays
on lands governed by the KSHS.

Marc/Diarmaid