[Ansteorra] re: New filk song

JHP random1 at airmail.net
Sun Mar 10 23:31:22 PST 2002

On 10 Mar 2002 at 12:03, Tessa Nieto wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 15:39:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tessa Nieto <eleanor_cleavely at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] new filk song
> To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>
> My lady,
>
> a "filk" is a song that has had the words changed. For
> example, let's say I liked the tune of "YMCA" by the
> Village People. Now, obviously the words to the song
> aren't period (at least, I don't think Elizabethans
> had a YMCA. *G*). So, I would change the words around
> to make them a bit more period. Here is how it would
> look:

I would most humbly add a correction to your definition.  Simply changing the words
does not filk make.  Rather that is classified as derivative work, usually parody in
nature.  Most of the songs found listening to Dr. Demento fall into that category.
While a true definition of Filk depends upon the person asked, the consensus is a
song based upon an existing song or tune specifically with a Sci-Fi/Fantasy theme.
Usually centered around another work of sci-fi/fantasy: media (movie/telveision,etc)
or books (central theme, character or combination).  Many SCA songs do fall into
the broad category of Filk by being derivative works of a semi-historic/fantasy
nature.

Filk as a word was generated by a typo at a california convention program many
years ago and stuck.  Filk is just another style of folk singing.

Granted this is a nit-picking detail, but I would like the prospective new admirer of
the art form to have have a cleaner definition.  A fairly decent resource is
www.filk.com.

Now returning to hyper lurk mode. <smiles>

Eirik Olaffson
Shire...errr Barony... of Elfsea (tells you how long since I've actively played.)
House Moonstone
House Sirius
Maker of Star Twinkle.
(not that I think those names mean anything anymore after so long a time. )

(and apologies ahead of time for any typos due to insomnia fatigue.)
Will you cross the bridge of silver?  Will you cross the bridge of steel?
Will you cross the bridge of bone that cleaves the crimson flood?
Will you smash the frozen veil? Will you dare the shaman's trail?
Will you ken the tale through omens written in your blood?  -- Annwn.