[Ansteorra] The Army of Heroes

Keith Ewing kein at austintx.net
Wed Mar 20 16:55:54 PST 2002

Greetings Fellow Ansteorrans

I want to say how very pleased I am with the Army of Heroes. From Northkeep
to Le Marche Sauvage. From Bordermarch to Blacklake you all came and fought
well.
Every level of experience from grizzled veterans to 16 year old fighters in
their first melee participated and worked well together.

At one point close to the end of the Ravine battle after the scenario had
changed to "last man standing", Duke Patrick and I (over 30 years of
combined fighting experience) stood side by side facing down the Bloodguard
and watched while archers killed 10 of them in a minute or two. I found out
later that those archers were ladies from Ffynnon Gath who had never been on
the battlefield before. I was glad that they were there that day. They
killed more than Duke Patrick and I did.

I want to thank our Crown, King Aaron and Queen Britta, for allowing me to
lead this glorious army. I want to thank each member of the upper command.
You good folks helped me pull this together. I want to thank each and every
one of the unit commanders who held the practices and led the troops. You
were the strong bones of our army. I want to thank the archers for bringing
their bows and participating in a place that many were unfamiliar with. I
want to thank the rapier fighters who put on heavy armor for the first time
and those who are seasoned veterans. I want to thank the siege engineers who
built the weapons and hauled the weapons then manned the weapons so well.
After I spoke in court Friday night Sir Pendaran joked that he thought I was
going to thank each fighter in the army by name. I would if I could . If at
any time in the future any of you come to me and say, "I fought in the Army
of Heroes," I will shake your hand and thank you.

What now? Prepare for next year. Make more arrows and bolts. Train more
archers. Learn to charge. Build some ramps. Recruit new fighters. Practice
your tourney skills. Keep practicing your melee skills. Email a Trimaran
friend and tell them that we'll be even better next year and that they
better get to work.

The Ansteorran Army of Heroes is, in my humble opinion, the best fighting
force on the SCA battlefield today.

ON TO TRIMARIS!!

Duke Kein MacEwan
General of the Ansteorran Army of Heroes.