[Ansteorra] Re: [Bryn-gwlad] Archery, ballista safety at Gulf Wars

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Mar 20 20:07:37 PST 2002

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 (Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com) said something that sounded like:
> I find it rather ironic that the Marshallete is now allowing ballistas
> and archers to shoot blindly into locations they can not see.
> When I was denied re-authorization on my combat archery several years
> ago

I will speak upon this section.

It is up to each Marshal to determine what they feel is safe or not.
Anyone can appeal anything they feel unjust up the line once they are off
the field. (You can not argue issues on the field, the Marshal is always
right until after the fact discussion.) In the case of what happened at
this Gulf War, which I only know by story so can only guess at, someone
should have brought it to the attention of a Marshal so they could take
action upon it.

I, being a Combat Authorization Marshal, would pull any archer, bow or
bolt/arrow I felt was unsafe. I unfortunately am not a Siege Marshal,
but I would point issues as Robin stated to someone with more knowledge
and authority to make a judgement call.

As for shooting into the crowd, if I had witnessed it I definitely would
have stopped it from occuring more than once. Unfortunately Marshals are
not everywhere at battles as large as this so it is up to conscientious
on-watchers to help them in cases where it endangers anyone.

On a side note, I know that last year they had to get people off of the
fighting field several times because it was endagering them. This was
particularly true along the tree line of the fort because people like to
get up close and watch. This is dangerous with archery and siege.
Unfortunately many of the people didn't care to be safe despite the
Marshals.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase   |  "And I ain't in it for the power
Bryn Gwlad - Ansteorra |   And I ain't in it for my health