[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra digest, Vol 1 #516 - 12 msgs

Carolle M Cox hpockets at gte.net
Wed May 1 13:38:14 PDT 2002

> Hmmmmm.....interesting.  Don't quite know how to respond to this one.
>
> In past BBS business, I know that wicccan friends did not like it when
someone put
> a curse up online.  But I don't precisely know if this WAS a curse and how
the
> Rule of Three is held.

Email me offlist if you want to discuss this.

The subsequent public listing as Pendaran as #1 and Bro.
> Chris as #2 when they opposed Olivia is actually of greater concern to
me....was a
> curse being extended?  This I would REALLY disapprove of...it seems to
fall
> dangerously close to a threat...which we do not make online.  But, again,
I do not
> have a full understanding of what was presented.

Enough to understand the basic idea, that threats and curses online are bad
business.

> On another tack....
> Would it have been appropriate for me to say, "Whoever took my beer is a
sick and
> evil sinner, black of heart and without remourse.  May God, His Son Jesus,
and all
> the angels of heaven send you to the firey Hell that you deserve."  This
would
> invoke religion to wreak vengence on someone which seems to me to be
> inappropriate....though having 3 times as much beer stolen from you is not
on the
> same as eternal torment.

(splutter, giggle) If your persona would say that, then go right ahead,
IMHO.  Though being tormented forever sounds a bit like overkill for 10
beers, huh?

>   Overall, I don't approve of the post, whatever power my opinion holds.
> Threatening people who steal from you (probably kids) should not be done
on
> Ansteorra-net...in my opinion.  The tone and  purpose and level of
vehemence don't
> seem to jibe with the nature of the list....

Agreed.

> Isobel Hadleigh
> Am I now #3?

Where are you counting from, please? (Grin)

Carolle.  I sign my mundane name, because Gerita would never have said these
things, nor used this form of humor to attempt to diffuse a rough situation.

> maybe embrace was a poor word to use.  better?

Yes.  The feeling i get from Corpora's words is that our mundane spiritual
beliefs have little place at SCA gatherings.  I tend to agree with that from
the standpoint that - look at the grief it's caused just in this little
microcosm already.  There were all sorts of religions in Period.  They were
practiced in many ways, occasionally to the detriment of somone.  Ok.  So we
won't go there.

 We have a couple of gentlemen in Ansteorra who have taken Religious
Personas (monks, friars, and the like).  Their comportment as been an
admirable effort to blend their Persona's personality and life with the
words of Corpora, and i commend them and all who follow their example.

Carolle

> maybe it was a potion to block the effects of the incoming camel testicle
> curse.
>
> Ian
> >
> >Maybe they used the beer for some sort of weird recipe they were
preparing
> >for a pagan/christian ceremony?
> >gwyneth

Alright!!  You're Both in Dutch with me!  Now which one of you is going to
come clean the iced tea off my screen???  (laughing gleefully)

Carolle

> Just wondering... at what point during an event should
> one be in garb? and at what point is it acceptable to
> put back on mundane clothing? I've seen many people
> all around site in mundanes at points on Saturdays...
> whether it be while setting up camp when arriving or
> on Saturday evening when partyhopping.... I, too,
> agree that "at least they are there", and as the
> custodian of the shire loaner garb at the moment,
> there isn't much I could do to clothe most normal
> people, as the selection of garb is either rather
> tacky and/or small.
>
> Alauna

The general tradition is that when your car goes to the parking lot (surely
you're not leaving it in camp all weekend?) the garb goes on.  When you
start packing up to leave the site, garb gets packed away with the rest of
the gear.  We don't pack til we're about to leave, to give the tentage a
chance to dry out, but i certainly wouldn't gripe at someone who wore
mundane clothes on Sunday a.m. when the event closes at noon (but then they
don't get to go to Court dressed like that, hmmm?).

Suggestion on that garb:  Ask the members of your Shire for several things:
1.  Any of their own garb they're tired of and willing to part with.  2.
Gifts of fabric.  3.  The gift of a bit of their time to attend a workshop
dedicated to the making of loaner garb.  If sewing is not your forte, then
check with your A&S Minister for help.  It's worked in other places!

Carolle