[Ansteorra] A thought about why people leave for feast... other than the ones stated already.

morgancain at earthlink.net morgancain at earthlink.net
Fri May 3 09:32:34 PDT 2002

>>> While it is important to make sure that a feast one
>>> eats is paid in full, I don't see any problem with
>>> bringing ones own if one has allergies or lack of money.
>>> Have a seat where available.  Tell the server that comes
>>> to your group "no thank you we brought our own" and
>>> proceed to keep good company with the other attendees.

As someone who recently did a feast, let me tell you the problem with this.  At ours, I was told that anybody could sit anywhere, whether they had bought feast or brought their own food, so that friends and households could have supper together.

Fine.

BUT - we ended up with a "table" that had one person eating feast.  Another with just two.  Since I planned the portions for eight per table, this did very strange things to the service.  Especially when the lone person at one table didn't realize that he was supposed to fetch the food, and came in complaining that he was not getting anything (we asked him to coordinate with the next table, which was half-full, for both convenience and to avoid wastage).

I don't mind when there are designated off-board tables so that those who bring their own food can sit in the hall, see and here the entertainment and whatever else is going on, and get up to visit with friends who bought the feast.  But it is a very complicating matter to have the people mixed together in the hall.  It can be hard for the kitchen to suddenly accommodate tables of everything from one to fifteen, especially when the food includes whole pies and chickens and other things not in serving portions.

                                 ---= Morgan

"The embarrassing thing is that the salad dressing is
 outgrossing my films."         ---= Paul Newman