[Ansteorra] A thought about why people leave for feast...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri May 3 12:26:07 PDT 2002

Thora commented:
> A couple of tuppence from my direction......    While it is important to
> make sure that a feast one eats is paid in full, I don't see any problem
> with bringing ones own if one has allergies or lack of money.  Have a
> seat where available.  Tell the server that comes to your group "no thank
> you we brought our own" and proceed to keep good company with the other
> attendees.  I believe after all is said, most would agree above all we
> are more concerned with having one's company rather than one's cash.

Yes, I agree with what you've said. However, please be aware that in
many parts of the Known World, you are not allowed to eat with the
folks enjoying the feast unless you've paid for it. The usual reason
given is that often the halls/rooms available are not large enough to
hold more than those who have paid for the feast. It also complicates
serving since food is often set up to serve a table of eight.

This choice of having strict offboard/onboard divisions has been
debated on the SCA-Cooks list numerous times.

I commend the Ansteorra headcooks and servers who are able to work
around serving a miscellaneous arrangement of tables which can have
between two and eight people.

Stefan

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net