[Ansteorra] Re: [Coastal] Loch Soilleir Guardian-May 17-19

drwise drwise at houston.rr.com
Mon May 13 13:14:08 PDT 2002

Greetings all from Sir Alexis LaBouche

The format for the passage of armes at Loch Guardian will be as follows:

The tournament is based around the Battle of Thrirty, an encounter
between primarily French and English knights.  As such, all combatants
will choose to fight for one of the two sides.  All non-combatants will
be invited to join the berfrois (or gallery) where they may observe the
contests of arms.  We are encouraging period style pavillions around the
list field and tents will be set up to provide space for you in one of
the galleries.  The day will begin with a helm show where the
contestants' helms will be set up for display.  We are encouraging the
contestants to decorate their helms with period style decorations, from
a simple torse and mantle to a full crest.  Once the helms have been set
up each contestant shall be presented to the gallery by their herald
along the lines of 'now comes lord so and so, known by his arms of
gules, a chicken ermine, and fighting for the honor of lady
nobleheart..  At that time the contestant will declare for which side
they will fight, collect their helm and if they have an honor shield
they will hang it up on the honor tree.  After that they will join their
side until all the fighters are declared.  (p.s if you're late, and I
know you won't be, then you'll be able to jump in during a break between
the fights)

Next we will begin a series of rounds.  The first is a challenge round
where the ladies may decide who will fight or each side may send forth a
champion to be met by one chosen by the other side.  There may also be
small groups sent out.  This will go for the first hour.  Next will be a
round fought at barriers with the contestants electing the rules, i.e.
one hand on the barrier.  This will also include single and multiple
contestants at the barrier.  Finally, we will have a matched weapons
round where opponents will have matched weapons and may take the field
singularly or in multiples.

The general rule of thumb is if you want a lot of fighting remain ready
to fight, since if the fighting slows down additional fights will begin
with the next available contestants.

Also, we are giving the contestants the option to fight for fame, ransom
or blood.  If you choose fame then acknowlege the results accordingly,
for ransom, decide how much you or your opponent is worth and if for
blood, then someones day might end a little early...

The rapier tournament will commence in the morning with the helm show
beginning at 9:00 and fighting to try to start around 10:00.  The
chivalric will commence in the early afternoon so that someone will be
able to fight both tournaments if they so choose.  Don't worry about the
afternoon heat since there is a nice stream to cool off in afterwards.

As a final note, we are encouraging everyone to make full use of
heraldic display and be sure to bring your banners since there just
might be a grand melee battle at the end to see whose banner shall
remain standing on the field.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me and I'll try
to answer them for you.

I look forward to seeing everyone there, it should be a grand time for
one and all.

With regards,

Alexis