[Ansteorra] A useful list for our members?

Theron Bretz tbretz at io.com
Tue May 21 20:30:48 PDT 2002

> hummmmmmm.. looks like a case for the lawyers to me.
>
> copyright infringement????

Actually, you can't copyright initials or names of entities.  Trademark or
Service Mark them with a specific typeface and look, yes, but not copyright.
As a Corporation, the name, Society for Creative Anachronism is protected,
but, again, you can't go after someone just because their organization also
has a three word (or so) name with the initials SCA.

Of course, looking at a random copy of TI, I saw neither Trademark or
Service Mark indicia regarding the name or the Laurel Wreath logo.  Given
the huge numbers of bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc. out there, incorporating
elements of the Society's corporate identity, most, if not all done with no
official sanction from the Society, any claims to the exclusivity of said
images, etc., wouldn't hold water in any court (you've got to actively
protect a trademark, or you lose it).

Luciano
Yes, I know I'm being horribly pedantic.  I'm not even a lawyer.  Just very
interested in the topic, having had to research it to death in the past.