[Ansteorra] Re: Questions 11/3

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Mon Nov 4 12:55:32 PST 2002

On Monday, November 4, 2002, at 02:14 PM, Aline Swynbrook wrote:
> 1. What is your definition of honour?
>
> Honour is knowing that you have your good name, and
> that the highest of peers and the humblest of servants
> would both be gald to call you friend.

Forgive me, Lady Aline, but I disagree with you in this detail. I
suggest that these things you have described constitute one's GLORY, not
one's HONOR.

GLORY is the opinion others hold of us. It is a fickle thing that can be
won in a moment, and just as quickly lost. It is a gift that others give
us.

HONOR is the opinion we hold of ourselves. It is fairly constant (short
of a moral or ethical disaster). I suggest that it is hard-won among the
honorable, but also easily lost. A single gross misstep can cost you
everything, though you can - with humility, patience, and time - find
your way back to honor, and personal redemption. It is a gift that we
give ourselves.

One can attain glory without honor. One can also stand firm in the
conviction of one's honor, at the cost of glory.

Having said all of this, I agree with you that there are those who look
for honor, not glory, in others; and, finding it, are glad to call them
"friend".

> Honour is the
> moral courage and decency to stand firm in your
> convictions, no matter what the consequences to your
> life and property.  No accolade, won by cheat,
> falsehood, or cheap trick, can garner honour.

In this, and in all your subsequent points, I agree with you completely,
good Lady. Well said, and let both the newcomer and the veteran find
thoughtful guidance in your gentle words.

Yours,
Michael Silverhands