[Ansteorra] Re: Questions 11/3

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 12:14:46 PST 2002

1. What is your definition of honour?

Honour is knowing that you have your good name, and
that the highest of peers and the humblest of servants
would both be gald to call you friend.  Honour is the
moral courage and decency to stand firm in your
convictions, no matter what the consequences to your
life and property.  No accolade, won by cheat,
falsehood, or cheap trick, can garner honour.

2. What is your definition of chivalry?

Chivalry is the treatment of all as though they were
your equal or your better.  It is the outward example
of honour, decency, and kindness.  It is living by
one's convictions, without fail, in every situation.

3. What is your definition of "the dream"?
"The dream" is the pursuit of the two above.  It is
finding and understanding the motivations of those who
have gone before us in history, culling the very best
of their world, and synthesizing it with our own.  The
dream extends beyond an event, a tournament, a
persona, or barony.  It is not titles gained, ballads
composed, Pennsics attended, nor battles won.  It is
all of these things and it is none of them.  The
dream, in the end, if the knowledge of self, of duty,
of honour, of purpose, and of peace that is learned in
all that is done in the daily life and grand events of
the Society.

Please pardon my humble answers, as I am long
cloistered in the world of academia, and largely
unaware of the events of the Knowne World.

Aline Swynbrook, scholar, writer, and humble servant
and seeker of the dream.