[Ansteorra] Re: Ansteorra digest, Vol 1 #800 - 15 msgs

Carolle M Cox hpockets at verizon.net
Mon Nov 4 12:57:02 PST 2002

My dear Lady Lorraine, you asked a series of questions, which i attempt to
answer below.  YMMV.

> 1. What is your definition of honour?

Honor.  Having and keeping to a code of ethics. A person i call 'honorable'
can be trusted to 'do the right thing' every time.

> 2. What is your definition of chivalry?

Courteous, brave, loyal, just a bit stubborn (how else do you win a Swiss
Five, eh?).  Honorable is also good.  I like the Eastern definition of what
makes a good "Chivy":  Not only a good, fair, courteous fighter, but also
capable in areas that do not relate directly to warfare:  cooking,
leatherwork, metalwork, barding, you get the picture.

 3. What is your definition of "the dream"?

My personal definition is that someone dreamed up this term and it needs to
go the way of spats and saddle shoes.  Why did i decide to play in the SCA?
Originally because it was something to do other than study.  Period.  My
return was to have a focus and framework for a life-long love of acquiring
and sharing as much information as possible.  I also have a serious
committment to keeping 'old' skills alive, which ties in well with the Arts
and Sciences in the SCA.  Fighters, Swordsmen, brewers, all those who do
what i cannot have my utmost respect from that standpoint - they, too, keep
old ways alive (although sometimes slightly altered by modern requirements).
The 'dream' part of all this is allowing others to do their own research and
come up with results that don't match mine, and even debating them, without
getting into a fit.  Allowing a newcomer to wear whatever's comfortable
until they find a niche Without sniping at them.  Allowing a disabled person
to participate wherever and however they are able to, despite our clear
knowledge that the disabled in the Middle Ages did not much, and lived
short, boring lives.  That's the dream . . . . . .

Gerita, shaking her head, trying to return to reality