[Ansteorra] re: Lady Lorraine's questions

Gerald Norris jerryn at houston.rr.com
Wed Nov 6 03:48:02 PST 2002

1. What is your definition of honor?

Having enough confidence to admit mistakes and to push for those things that
are "right" (usually self-confidence is hard-won and easily shook, but an
"honorable" person can find the strength to regain it).  To deal with
EVERYONE in an honest and just fashion.  Be true to one's word and have the
judgement to know when to give it.   I would liken honor to a pearl; a
building of layers of trust through the actions derived from following the
above standards.

With that analogy fresh in mind, I have to say that I disagree with Master
Michael in that "a single gross misstep" is nothing more than a mistake.  An
honorable person will make these from time to time, and honorable people
will know that somewhere in that person's mind the phrase "oops!" is being
said a lot.  In the end, we are only human.

2. What is your definition of chivalry?

Courtesy, honor, generosity, nobility, a breadth of scope concerning one's
place in society.  Having the mastery of arms to defend oneself and others
and mastery of wit to defend an idea.  Understanding that virtue is
something to strive for, but not attaining the goal every time doesn't
denote failure of purpose or heart.  In most of us, chivalry lives in the
willingness to help others without being required to do so.  In our fighters
(both chivalric and rapier) it is the desire to do service to king/queen and
kingdom both on and off the field.

3. What is your definition of "the dream"?

I often find that many people use this phrase as shorthand for a desire to
escape to 'a simpler time'.  For myself, it is the time when I can share
cameraderie with friends, enjoy the life I live and the people I share it
with.  Those moments when, around a table or campfire I share a song with
others who join in and make the poor work I was offering so much richer.  In
a very real sense, I "live the dream" every day, in music and action, in
friendships and loves, in work and in play.

I don't require the trappings of some yesterday that someone else has
decided to emulate to take me to a place where friendship is true, a word is
binding and people tend to try to be and do their best.

With that, I hope to have given answer to your questions.

In service to the dream with a song in my heart, I am
HL Gerald of Leesville
Title bard of Loch Soillier
A bard of Stargate
Kingdom Ansteorra