[Ansteorra] A tradition begins in a far off land

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 12 09:01:26 PST 2002

This past weekend I got to hopefully begin a new tradition in the Kingdom of
Atenveldt.
Although Coronation was a couple of weekends ago I realized I'd failed in my
duty
to my Liege Lord as I'd made a promise that I had missed.

So in Court at Southern Crusades I begged a moment of the Crown's time. I
then began
a speech about the honor of Crown and the honor of the fighter who falls for
the final
time to make someone else the Sovereign of these lands. Trust me as speaking
from
experience when I say that taking that last shot is one of the most
difficult things to do.
But honor demands it. The worst thing is that both fighters have fought
mightily and
striven hard to overcome the finest fighters in the kingdom to become the
Crown but
one walks away with everything and the other leaves in defeat.

Earl Timotheous, many years ago, took pity on a poor fighter who had tasted
the bitterness
of Crown defeat three too many times. He felt that second place should not
be a total loss.

So, on Saturday night, Timo's kindness and legacy has been born in the firey
lands of
Atenveldt. I called forth Sir Kosmo Craven and regaled the gathered populace
with his
honor and skill and brought before him......a cheesecake.  The Number 2
candle blazed
with pride as it was walked down the aisle and presented to him. Sir Craven
accepted this
gift with all the "respect" it was due and even was so kind as to tell me
the wish he was
thinking was directed at me! (Of course, he didn't say whether or not it was
for good or
ill.)

But I would be a poor subject to His Majesty Jonathan were I to forget that
He and I had
much in common. Yes, this poor man had tasted the bitterness of defeat three
too many
times as well. Besides, he loves cheesecake.

So, with candles blazing, another gooey confection was presented to His
Royal Majesty.
A lovely thing, graham cracker crust and the slight oiliness glistening in
the candlelight.
With three Number 2's around the rim and a large Number 1 in the center.

The tradition begins.

Yers,

Gunthar