[Ansteorra] Teachers, totally off subject... [MUNDANE SPAM]

Eric Brown caladin at io.com
Thu Nov 14 12:58:11 PST 2002

>You want to show teachers that you appreciate them? Pay them better!

That reminds me,

I learned something recently that kind of blew me away...

In China, a teachers pay is based on how well her students perform,
but everytime such a thing has been suggested here, even just as a bonus
(ie get free money for doing an extra good job) the american "teachers
union" has come out strongly against it.

It seems wierd to me that a Good Teacher and a Crappy Teacher get payed the
same amount.
Unless the good teacher can transfer to another district...

Now I know there woudl be lots of arguments about the mechanics of the deal,
bonus vs raises,
performance vs improvement on specific tests, teaching to the tests instead
of teaching to teach...
and all that

But why is is that the "teachers union" is so opposed to the idea, no matter
how it's set up.
Especially when it's set up as a bonus, ie we set aside extra money, and
it's split up at the
end of the year based on "how well you did", however you determine that...

I figured we had lots of teachers around on this list, and i wondered why
they were so against pay
being linked to performance, other than it's harded than just having pay
linked to seiniority...

Can anyone tell me? You can answer privatley if you don't want to spam the
list...
'Cause it seems like a natural to me...I Mean , more money is more money
right?

Caladin