[Ansteorra] Teaching on-or-off topic

Paul DeLisle ferret at hot.rr.com
Sun Nov 17 14:58:29 PST 2002

> Well, here I go.  This will torque some folks I'm sure, cool.
> But according to my sources, demos, while useful in my
> opinion, are "outside" the SCA and don't count.  That's
> right, go to as many as you want, but they won't count
> toward recognition..  I think that, to be blunt, SUCKS.
>
> We have lots of great, wonderful folks, who bust their buns doing demos of
> all types across the Kingdom and it doesn't count.  Not that
> these selfless people do it for recognition.  They don't.
> They do it because they LOVE it.
>
> However, they should get recognition.  It should count.  Argggggggggg.

Umm...exactly *who* told you that such educational forays "don't
count"?....they help improve our image to the mundane population....we
assist teachers in getting kids interested in history (and many other
things)....who said this "doesn't count"? ...I'd like to see that in the
By-Laws of the Society...or even in Kingdom Law.

Now, on the other paw...I've seen "demos" that I *wouldn't* "count."
 Doing a "demo" at any movie opening that might possibly have a sword in it
(Blade, Peter Pan, etc.) does not cast our group in a positive light. Leave
that to the Ampgarders, or HFS. But if we remember that our focus is
Education and History (at least to the outside world)...organizing such
things are *definitely* worthy of notice.

Alden
(curmudgeon-in-training)