[Ansteorra] Demos

Bob Dewart gilli at hot.rr.com
Sun Nov 17 15:24:28 PST 2002

Absolutely.

However, while they are at some state fair or something doing an demo
because, well for whatever reason, they aren't at an "SCA" event where they
can be seen by their peers, or anyone else for that matter.  There's allot
of traveling going on for "SCA" activities that aren't at "SCA" events.

It has been pointed out to me, by some folks who should know, that certain
awards virtually require you to travel to a large number of events, 3 or 4 a
month. I feel a slippery slope here, opps, weeeeeeeeee.  So instead of
perusing a singular goal, they go for the grander picture.  And each time
they do, they get shot in the foot just a little bit for doing the common
good.

There's only so much each of us can do, and there is so much that can,
would, could, should be done.  It is a very narrow view that if it isn't at
an event it doesn't count and can't be considered.

BTW, it's not me I'm talking about.  I haven't done a demo in years.
However, my hat's off to all those who selflessly give of their time, to
inspire new members to join, spread the word of what we do to the uninformed
and help to create a positive public image we can all flourish in.  Can't do
that stuff at an event.

Gilli
Shoot more arrows.  You're bound to hit something.

> Who says anyone is doing it for the "recognition"?
> Many do it purely from their love of the game and
> desire to share the experience with others.
>
> Joan
>
> =====
> Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there
is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.