[Ansteorra] Night of Shooting Stars

Bob Kelley bkelley at accd.edu
Mon Nov 18 07:06:01 PST 2002

Greetings Ansteorrans,

     While a bit off the medieval topic, our medieval ancestors did
enjoy the same sight.  Tonight, and especially tomorrow morning, we
could be in for quite a celestial display of "shooting stars" as the
peak of the Leonid meteor shower takes place.  Although the Moon is full
and will hinder our observations, if your skies are clear, the meteor
shower could prove quite spectacular.
     Based upon the latest NASA calculations, our part of the planet -
Ansteorra - should see the meteor shower reach peak activity sometime
between 3:00am and 6:00am CST prior to sunrise on Tuesday, November
19th.  Some astronomers are predicting meteor rates of 500 to 2000 per
hour near peak activity, even with brilliant moonlight.  An initial peak
of activity will take place near 10:00pm CST, but this peak will favor
observers in Europe.  Our best show should occur prior to sunrise on the
19th.
     Just for your information, a telescope or binoculars are not
required to enjoy the show.  Your own two eyes are best for meteor
watching.  Normally, I advise a trip away from city lights, but the Full
Moon's light will negate this recommendation.
     The Leonid meteor shower happens every year, but it's always best
when the Earth goes though thicker concentrations of particles left
behind by the meteor shower's parent comet.  The meteors will appear to
come the from the constellation of Leo the Lion which rises in the
eastern sky at 11:00pm and is high overhead by sunrise.  The meteors may
appear to come from this area of the sky, but should appear in all
directions.
    My best recommendation would be to lie back in a lawn chair or a
blanket spread out on the ground.  Dress warmly and enjoy the sky show!
By the way, due to a variety of astronomical factors, this could be the
last great Leonid show for a couple of centuries!

    Wishing you clear skies!

    Bob Kelley/ Scobee Planetarium
    Sir Emrys Shaunnon/ Baron of Bjornsborg