[Ansteorra] Demo's counting for Service (was: Teaching on-or-off topic)

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 18 12:17:31 PST 2002

Gilli said:
> [...]

it.

>However, they should get recognition.  It should count.  Argggggggggg.
>Gilli

I beg your pardon, but I would disagree with your sources.
It's NEVER been my experience that the folks that work with demo's are any
less 'rewarded' for their service w/ demos, than any other service areas.
I've participated regularly with demos, large and small; and have seen a lot
of SCA folks in action there.  When I send in award recs, it's been my habit
to list demo activity along with other SCA activity; and I've seen those
folks get recognized with awards.  Typically, our hospitoler officer is
responsible for demos, and more than one hospitoler has received their AOA
or service award over the year, because of their work as hospitoler.  And in
the southeastern kingdom area, we hold the largest demo in the SCA, at the
Texas Renaissance Festival.  Folks that work the faire are often recognized
for their artwork and especially their service to the SCA, specifically due
to their work at the Faire/demo.

Granted, if the 'only' SCA activity that some folks do is with demos, and
they are unable to participate in any other SCA venue or event, then yes, it
MAY take a long time for them to get recognition.   I would suspect that as
they are not seen at other SCA functions, they may simply not be well known.
 But it would be a shame if their lack of recognition were solely because no
one wrote an award-rec for them (hint!).

Yours, Hillary Greenslade