[Ansteorra] Question 11/11

Susan Wieland damaris1 at ev1.net
Tue Nov 12 04:21:18 PST 2002

L T wrote:

> To you, are your actions and personna in the SCA seperate from your everyday existance. Meaning do you hold a different standard of behaviour and interaction in the SCA than you do with people in other parts of your life?

I find it difficult to play someone who is not in me.  Damaris IS who
Susan would have been in period.  My motto; Quam probis, quam fides,
means "As good as my word" and  I have tried to follow that maxim since
long before I ever knew about the SCA.  Even when I played D&D I
COULDN'T play a character whose alignment was evil or even lawful.  Its
just not who I am.

> I ask this because there are several people whom I  have interacted with who I have seen be very >manipulative, controlling, and have been dishonest, underhanded  and destructive in respect to their >actions in the SCA (they seem to see all their interactions with the SCA as personna play)...but when seeing them outside an SCA context they expect me to still trust them and see them as friends...I just want to know if this is a "norm"

I wouldn't consider someone like that as a friend and probably would
tell them so.  Actually, I expect better behavior from people in the SCA
than in mundane life.

Just my $.02 worth.

Damaris
--
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the
  world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal