[Ansteorra] walnut hair dye

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Nov 12 07:12:26 PST 2002

Linda,

I'm not sure if you meant to send this to a mail list or not.
However, I'm replying to both you and the list in case others
might be interested.

You might want to look through these files in the PERSONAL CARE
section of my Florilegium files (www.florilegium.org), although
perhaps that is where you saw this mention of natural hair dyes.
hair-msg          (88K)  9/ 4/01    Period and SCA hairstyling and care.
hair-dyeing-msg   (12K)  9/ 4/01    Period hair bleaching and dyeing.

I don't remember any comments about dyeing hair dark however.
It seems that red or blonde was more the color to have. Unfortunately,
the natural dyes they had available were not always safe by today's
standards.

For instance, there is this snippet from the hair-dyeing-msg file:
>>>I'm much minded of the Will Cuppy essay where he gives Lucrezia Borgia's
hair-bleach formula, and finishes up with "If your hair remained on your head,
you were a blonde."<<<

Stefan li Rous
stefan at florilegium.org