[Ansteorra] Fw: Youth Academy and office openings

Elisabeth B. Zakes ezakes at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 14 03:54:14 PST 2002

I think you may be thinking about *fighting* in the list. AmberLea was
talking about the List Clerk position: the one who sets up the rounds. I see
absolutely no bar to an under-18 running a list (being the List Clerk). I
can think of several right now who would do quite a good job given the
know-how. It's teaching the know-how that the Academy would be a good forum
for. I'd certainly be willing to teach that class!

And we do have authorized youth marshals. They are required to have at least
one adult marshal on the field while they are marshalling, but they are
being taught that skill as well as the fighting skill. Yes, it's in
completely adult-controlled circumstances. The adults are authorized for
supervising youth in marshalling situations.

Aethelyan Moondragon
Bryn Gwlad

> Why are the youth not allowed to run a list for youth?  Just as in the
> fighting is under adult supervision, so would the list, but I see
> no reason why this skill cannot be taught.  Is there some rule
> about it?
> AmberLea

Taught; yes...Supervised; NO.

That is a major concept of *all* Youth activities (SCA, Mundane,
etc.)...that they are supervised/marshalled by "responsible" (i.e. Adult)
supervision. Let's not get too far into the realm of the un-realistic here,
folks. These are *children*; legally, and (for the most part) morally......
being taught a potentially deadly art... it is incredibly unreasonable to
assume that they can Marshal themselves (...does anyone remember "Miri" from
the old Star Trek?)

They are doing a great job in learning the Artes...let's not screw it up by
assuming they can Marshall themselves, too...

Alden