[Ansteorra] Teahcers' Day-rant

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:03:46 PST 2002

Mahee

I can not agree with you more and I applaud you for speaking your mind.  As
the spouse of a teacher I would like to add one more thing to Mahee's rant.

Until recently, I did not realize how much teacher's are expected to provide
out of their own pockets.  If you look at a teachers classroom, everything
in there except the furniture and the text books are their own property.
The school does not (or rarely) provide any teaching materials.  All of the
flash cards, bulletin boards, charts, books and pictures were purchased by
the teacher.  This material is required by the schools and expected by the
parents and students and the teacher's evaluation often depends upon this
material.  In addition, if a student's parents are unable (or unwilling) to
provide the student with school supplies, guess who buys them out of their
own money.  You guessed it, the teacher.  Teachers are expected to have
every student learn and a child cannot learn without the proper supplies.
Since the teachers evaluation depends upon the students performance, the
teacher has to provide the needed supplies so that the student will succeed.
  All of this is expected of a degreed professional who is probably the
lowest paid of all degree holders.

I agree that teachers should be paid more.  I read an article somewhere that
there are something like 300,000 certified teachers in Texas that are not
working in the education field.  Makes you wonder, huh.

That is my two and a half cents on the matter.

Regards
Leofric Ealdricson
(husband of Mairi M'Donnyle who is an Elementary Special Education Teacher
for Pasedena ISD)