[Ansteorra] Teachers, totally off subject... [MUNDANE SPAM]

Brian Martin bm3876 at sbc.com
Thu Nov 14 13:50:43 PST 2002

Caladin asked:

end of the year based on "how well you did", however you determine that...

I figured we had lots of teachers around on this list, and i wondered why
they were so against pay
being linked to performance, other than it's harded than just having pay
linked to seiniority...

Can anyone tell me? You can answer privatley if you don't want to spam the
list...
'Cause it seems like a natural to me...I Mean , more money is more money
right?

Okay, let's say teacher A. has a class full of kids from nice neighborhoods,
and nice families whose parents are involved in their kids' lives and expect
those kids to go to college, and teacher B. has a class full of kids who
live in a depressed, crime ridden area whose parents aren't around and where
college isn't even thought of as a possibility. Which class do you think
will have better grades and test scores? Would those grades and test scores
be an accurate reflection of the two teacher's skills?

My point is that there are a lot more variables involved in student
performance than how good the teacher is. Cultural expectations, parental
involvement and other things play a big role.

Pendaran