[Ansteorra] Teacher evaluation {mundane spam}

DonnelShaw at aol.com DonnelShaw at aol.com
Fri Nov 15 00:24:42 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/14/02 11:58:32 PM Central Standard Time, caladin at io.com
writes:

> Examples...
>
> Judge teachers based against the other teachers in the same school and
> district and state on proportional basis, to
> minimize differneces in cash, resources, enviromnet etc etc etc...

OK I teach Pre K there are three total in three different schools.
The Environment?  Part is derived from the school district the rest is from
my pocket of hand made teaching supplies and bought supplies.  Environment is
also my style and what works for me and what ever room they stick me in that
year. (and don't meet the TEA rules)

> Use the same standardized tests we use now, plus other we ramp up to be
> more
> comprehensive.

We are starting to do this but I have to have a sub for three days because it
takes about 30mins - 1 hrs to individually test each child at the beginning
of the year then again at the end. What about the children who come in and go
out after and before that?
Plus all the idividual one on one testing I do for the report card .

> Take the scores before the school year, and the ones after.... Compare them

When? Who and with what money?  I need the summer for a break. I need that
time to recharge.  Plus I have to take all the Gifted and Talented training
and the ESL training and the Computer training that I am not paid for. Not to
mention get in my room and clean and organize so I can improve my teaching
each year. Hopefully the AC will be on for some reason.

> Take those and compare them with both other teachers of the same material
> (science, etc) and the same school.

There is no one else.

> Put a curve in to again dampen out sociological &economic features...

That is how they all Qualify to be in my class.

> Now add a section for review form other teachers, parents, students, factor
> that in "fairly"...
> (yeah I know I didnt' say it'd be easy, just doable)

Fairly is a key word here.

> Take a given amount of money, distribute it to each school, the teachers who
> are in the top 50% in that schools scoring,
> get to split the money, the bottom 50%, don't. Split it evenly or on a
> performance gradiant, what ever you decide is fair...

That is what the level 2 money I use to get but no longer. It cost them to
much and they stopped doing it. I quit to stay home with my children about
then and I don't know the "official reason" they stopped doing it.

> While that does not cover all the possilbe issues, it covers most of the
> ones you've mentioned here....
>
> My real question is, why do the teachers organizations start fighting it
> before they even get to the argueing the rules part...

Because they have been burned.

> Sure if the rules suck, kill it, fight it, make it bleed, but why isn't the
> concept of more money for better results attractive to the "union"?

see above

> It seems more like a prinicipal thing, like pay based on perfomance is a
> bad
> thing somehow...
> That's what I want to understand... It seems like a win win to me... more
> money is more money... and
> If it goes to the teachers we deem best even better...
>
> Aside from the fact that IMHO unions prefer to base it on seiniority,
> because that's easier, stabel and predicatble...(ie happy union members)
>
> Since I beleive the rules are solveable, postulate this.
>
> If you got to make upthe rules so that you were 100% convinced they were
> fair... Bonuses on top of you salary, not included in school budget etc
> etc.. what ever you want...
>
> Would you accept it?
>
> If so, then why doesn't the "teacher union" negotioate the rules instead of
> killing the idea from the get go.
>
> If not, why? What's so bad about pay for performance. Chinese schools seem
> to put out some pretty good students...
> Of course we only see the cream of the crop...
>
> Caladin-
>
> Still not getting it...

Bottom line?  I have a class full of 4yrs and then two at home (not 4yrs). I
am here to teach them to the best of my ability. I have very little precious
time to do that. My job and calling is to be in there teaching them to the
best of my ability. I don't have time to fool with the other stuff. But I
also don't trust them/others enough to say go for it. And when I get the
extra time for my self as you can see it is 2am. Or I have worked doubly hard
to develop lesson plans I can pull out so the next year I can make events. Or
like this weekend clean my house and take my child to Brownies and Webelow's.
If I am lucky I will get to pull out my paints and work on a scroll this
weekend. Or maybe even sleep!  And those who know me do what I like best talk
to adults!!!