[Ansteorra] Re: teachers

Adrienne R. Ferrell aferrell at texas.net
Fri Nov 15 09:35:53 PST 2002

Dear Caladin and all those intrested,

    I'm not a teacher.  I respect and admire those who are.  You asked why
the teacher's union is against performance pay.  Although I don't have
first hand knowledge of their views; I can extrapolate form my experience
in the corporate world.  As an account executive, I wouldn't want my pay
based on things that I couldn't effect.  If my base of accounts were
assigned to me, rather than ones I brought in, it would be a real crap
shoot.  Teachers can't chose their students,   the staff, the school board,
the pta, they have to work with what they get.  There are many factors that
prevent a child from achieving.  This method may reward a teacher who put
in little effort, but had a class of students with parents who were really
involved with thief children's education (as they should be).  At the same
time may not reward a teacher that has done everything humanly possible and
still have students not reach the set goals.  Remember all the  factors
that can make a deference: peers, family, community, world affairs, the
child's mental state, and I am sure there are many more.
    Society puts a lot of responsibility on teachers.  We should pay them
for it.   Remember this at election times.  Finally, parents have the
ultimate responsibility for their children's education.  Maybe some of them
need to be in detention hall and/or study hall with their kids.

Respectfully,
Seraphina