[Ansteorra] Teaching on-or-off topic

Mahee mahee_of_acre at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 17 06:53:10 PST 2002

Actually much of the teacher conversation directly affects the SCA, because simular thought and feelings go with demos. I have done a lot of demos, in schools, scout camps, and TRF. The next guy over says, "well, I did not join the SCA to do demos." Basically they said that they did not join the SCA to be a teacher. I do not fault them for this. Please, do not think I am.
But, much of the feelings discussed here should enlighten you as to the feels felt by the people who have given up going to Crown Tourney because the demo near their home every year, or those who you do not see at events all TRF season because they are selflessly sharing their time answering questions and teaching skills to strangers at demos.
Take a head count of SCA people who joined the SCA after going to TRF, and you would be amazed...then thank those people who volenteered not to compete in Laurels prize or Crown, or any of the other absolutely wonderful events that all happen during the TRF season that they "can not" attend because they are teaching.
They may not be public school teachers...and many of them are... but they are still teaching and so they have many of the same problem, just in a different light then the public school teachers.
Also, I realize that we are discussing the mundane world as we discuss teaching, but if you have children, have had children, or might someday have children these words are relevant to you as it lets you see a little bit further into the hearts and minds of those who serve your children.
your servant,
mahee