[Ansteorra] Teaching on-or-off topic

ylwrose2 at juno.com ylwrose2 at juno.com
Mon Nov 18 06:28:38 PST 2002

> Umm...exactly *who* told you that such educational forays "don't
> count"?....they help improve our image to the mundane population....we
> assist teachers in getting kids interested in history (and many other
> things)....

And then there are those even rarer opportunities we get to actually be
*involved* in teaching something other than sword-play.  Like the Annual
Catapult Challenge at a local Junior High, sponsored by the ninth grade
Math teachers.  We spend the morning teaching the kids more about their
full-size siege weapons, and helping them fine tune them.  Then we spend
the afternoon cheering each team (and sometimes even playing target for
their water balloons).  All day we teach the principles of courtesy and
grace and honour that we have all made such a part of our lives.  We even
have an (SCA) teacher in a neighboring school district that is trying to
get something similar started, so that we can have inter-district
competitions.

Francesca
Steppes