[Ansteorra] New Question 11/20

J. B. b3zsgirl at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 20 11:48:53 PST 2002

Chivalry is formally defined as:
  1.. The medieval system, principles, and customs of knighthood.
  2..
    1.. The qualities idealized by knighthood, such as bravery, courtesy,
honor, and gallantry toward women.
    2.. A manifestation of any of these qualities.
  3.. A group of knights or gallant gentlemen.
Selfless is:
Having, exhibiting, or motivated by no concern for oneself; unselfish

Therfore not all Chivalrous acts are selfless, and not all selfless acts are
chivalrous.

If we give them a further narrowing to Chivalry = bravery and honor, and
Selfless = deeds done without thought for onself, then it is still
incongruous...

We all know that there may be glory for bravery.  It is not wrong, but it is
not always wrong.  It is selfless to give all you have to help those less
fortunate than yourself, but if we look at the medieval model that is not
attributed to Chivalry but to normally to Charity.

I have never thought of these as the same thing...and I don't expect
Kighthood to be a collection of selfless acts.

Just my 2 ducats
HL Biatrichi di Palermo
Seer to the nobility since 1492

Non essiri duci sinno tu mancianu, non essiri amaru sinno ti futanu